Yamaha THR10 v.2

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by Chuteboxehero, Nov 27, 2020.

1. Chuteboxehero

Chuteboxehero Well-Known Member

I'd read good things about these little guys and I've been on a mini amp kick lately so I figured I'd check it out. I was not expecting it to kick as much ass as it does. From what I gather there were 3 versions of the first gen THR10. This one includes the 3 different amp categories for a total of 15 amp options plus the effects, cabs etc... A tablet, laptop or phone is a must because without the THR remote app, you can't access most of the settings but it's intuitive and easy to use. Did I mention how incredible the sound is from two 6 inch speakers? I wish I had picked one up sooner. Great cleans, nice overdrive to moderate gain, really nice high gain lead tones. Plenty loud for small room jamming. Overall absolutely worth what they are asking.

[​IMG]

2. Bad Penguin

Bad Penguin Well-Known Member

I have the THR10 ver 1. What sold me on the beastie was the verb. It's.... glorious!

Chuteboxehero likes this.
  3. Chuteboxehero

Agree 100%. Even the spring reverb sounds good which can be tough to sell on some units. The on board FX are top notch.

4. Go Nigel Go

Go Nigel Go Active Member

I came very close to buying one of these last week to use as a practice amp with headphones. I wound up getting the small Fender Mustang I v2 only because at $135.00 all in it was significantly less expensive. I may yet get one of these Yamaha units as well for use in the studio (after I actually get it built, it is just a concrete pad at the moment). From what I can see, I think the software support is way better on the Yamaha than it is for the Fender Mustang. I am still not a big fan of modeling amps in general compared to a traditional amp and pedal board, but I have to admit, they have come a LONG way since the early LIne 6 stuff I messed around with in the mid to late 1990's. For a small convenient practice amp these little digital wonders are pretty tough to beat. Be sure to post updates as you get more familiar with the features and capabilities. I will be curious what you think in a couple of months.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
  5. El Marin

El Marin Active Member

Madrid, Spain, EU, Earth, Solar system, Milky way
    I have a v1 since 2012... No GAS for home amp/studio ever since then

6. Chuteboxehero

I started playing in the mid 90s as well and have witnessed the digital technology go from laughable to indistinguishable. Especially the amp and cab modeling technology that exists today... Simply amazing. Line 6 was almost always at the forefront and I think I've owned every multi FX pedal they've built since the first Pod. Had the Helix for a few years and recently sold it after picking up the Pod Go, which is basically a stripped down Helix with less DSP. Sometimes having too many options makes it more difficult to settle on one. Anyhow as far as the THR is concerned, still blown away with the sound coming out of this one. I'm finding myself playing more during the day than I normally would because it's so quick to setup and break down. 1 cable and my tablet. Add the headphones for late night. That's it. The only thing to keep in mind if you plug into one at a store... You're limited to the 5 amp models and their respective default cabs, and minimal effects options if you aren't using the THR remote app. Once you connect to it via the app, you have full control over all the amp, cab and effect options and parameters. Overall still worth every penny in my opinion.

7. Go Nigel Go

Go Nigel Go Active Member

Yup, that is exactly how I am using the Mustang. I got the Fender Fuse software downloaded and working on my iMac last night (had to get it from a "mirrored" source since Fender has apparently dropped it entirely) and like the Yamaha it makes all the difference for ease of use and access to all the available features. You can easily dial in virtually any sound you want for recording or practice, save it over a factory preset you don't need, and rock on.

I still wouldn't want to try and gig with even a big modeling amp, but as you say, for home practice/studio work at low volumes these things are "the shiz". The cab modeling translates extremely well through the built in speaker or headphones, and I am just blown away by the sound quality and flexibility from a single small box. I had to show off the Mustang to my neighbor and jamming buddy yesterday, and now he is thinking about getting one as well. I may point him towards the Yamaha though, that way I can try out his! :D

8. assquatch20

assquatch20 Member

I've been wanting one of those. Tried one last weekend and it was great for what I'm wanting to do. A fully wireless setup is possible with it and I bet it would make a decent Bluetooth speaker. I thought the speakers were just 3" though. It's either the Yamaha or the Empress Reverb in my future, but I'm thinking it's gonna be the reverb pedal for now.

9. Chuteboxehero

You're right two 3" speakers. Don't know why I thought they 6. Anyhow yes with the wireless version you can go without a cable and it has a built in rechargable so no power cable either. And it does make an awesome Bluetooth speaker.

assquatch20 likes this.