Yamaha THR5/10 owners

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by Heket, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Heket

Heket Well-Known Member

EDIT: to be clear, this is ONLY for THR10 and THR5, not for any of the new THRs with letter designations.

Those of you who have purchased the older version of these amps now have the option to update the firmware and upgrade your amp! This is now the THR5/10 V2. I have just done it and the change is quite pronounced. I'll try my best to outline it, as I know there are a few of you that have these wee beasties.

But first, here's how:
    Yamaha Downloads

Select your country, then type in your amp model. This should give the option to select THR V2, or in the list of downloads you'll see an update package that mentions V2. Click and follow the instructions to download. The extract the files, doesn't matter where, and run the setup. An instruction manual also comes with the package that you download. Read the manual and follow the instructions.

Don't know what version your THR is running? To check that mine was running version 2 I had to run through a step which I assume would be the same for any version check. Turn the amp on whilst holding down the Tap:Time button. The display should then show which version you are running, which in my case came out as 2_0_0, whic scrolls across the screen in succession.

So what does it do? It's supposed to have better speaker IR's and Cleaner cleans and dirtier dirts. I can attest that the dirt channels are a lot more usable without having to have my tone knob parked over the three quarters mark. Sounds a bit tighter too, and perhaps even a bit more tubey and authentic. The biggest change, however, is in the clean channel. I'm not entirely sold on this change; I used to enjoy the rich warmth of clean channel, whereas now it sounds more like my Vox cleans - jangly and bright. It's allegedly the same clean channel that's on the THR10C.

I'll need to play with it more to get more of a handle on it, but minus the change to the clean channel I'm liking it. Even with that I would say it's worth it. I'm not sure if it'll mess up any of your presets.

I hope you THR owners find this useful!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  2. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

Thanks tons!
    Just installed it.
    I'll report back tomorrow about it.
    Maybe Wednesday.

3. El Marin

El Marin Active Member

Madrid, Spain, EU, Earth, Solar system, Milky way
    THANKS!

I, as said in the other thread, had a 10C and sold it because didn't liked at all the clean channel... I didn't liked almost all channels as well, not enough drive in the dirty and not enough clean at cleans... One trick pony to my ears

I was looking for anybody reviewing the V2 and as it seems I won't make the change.

Anyway... is there any way of retrofitting to V1 if you change to V2?

4. Heket

Heket Well-Known Member

No there isn't. This update makes the clean channel a bit cleaner than it was in V1, but it probably won't help you much with super cleans. It's probably dirtier than the 10C though.

5. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

OK.
    Several days with the update now.
    I prefer the new Clean and find the new
    Lead setting to be much more useful than
    the old one was.
    The different cabinet models are all much better too,
    especially the two 4 x 12 models. The bass and flat
    settings seem to have a little more warmth as well.
    I don't like the Brit Hi but no loss no gain there because
    I didn't like it before either. I'm a Fender amp guy.
    All in all, V2 falls on the plus side of my seesaw.
    Thank you Heket for alerting me to it's existence.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  6. El Marin

El Marin Active Member

Madrid, Spain, EU, Earth, Solar system, Milky way
    Nooo, I just use clean channel to voices recording! Although I am a Fender amp guy, don't use them as the clean they are known for at all.

But just knowin that that clean modd amp looks more like the 10C is enough for me. :hmm:

Thanks again

7. AD72

AD72 Member

I have a THR10 and have yet to upgrade the firmware. The amp has been great for practicing so far. I am hearing a lot more detail from the guitar playing through the headphones. Also I noticed I need to clean up my muting of strings when playing. Everything rings clearer with this amp and its modeling compared to what I hear in RockSmith through headphones or through my Tiny Terror combo 12"speaker.
    This would be a great amp to bring along to demo a guitar so you can hear all the details. When I got my SG setup recently, the luthier had an amp with some reverb on it and I think it was masking some of the buzzing. It sounded a lot better at his studio. When I plug into this amp I have noticed more issues. The action is fairly low I am going to raise it and see if it goes away

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  8. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

Please lose the black on grey.
    It is difficult to read.
    Thank you.

9. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

It's easier to deal with than the Morse code thing that was going around a while ago.

But like Tony says, the contrast is too minimal for easy reading.

10. AD72

AD72 Member

Fixed. Sorry not sure how that happened.

Tony M and dbb like this.
  11. CodeLogic

CodeLogic New Member

Hi all, I have a THR5 that I sometimes plug my RC-3 looper into. Unsurprisingly, the RC-3 generated drums sound a bit muddy, even on the clean channel (V1). I was wondering if anyone knows whether this has improved with V2 or whether it's gotten worse? Thanks a lot!

12. Heket

Heket Well-Known Member

I have no idea :dunno: I don't have a Looper or use any drum sounds (yet!) but the amp in general appears to have cleared up and got less noisy. The clean channel has more emphasis on highs now.

CodeLogic likes this.
  13. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

Thank you AD, for changing the black on grey.

The Morse code was my fault.:ohno:
    I started it.
    Apologies to all for that one..

14. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

I thought it was cool - just that I'm not fluent in Morse code so it was hard to read! No worries, no need to apologize.