You know you should change your strings when...

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by seizure, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

So much for the improved coating!
    The best feature, aside from Rocksmith coding, is that the alloy seems lower tension at pitch than most strings. Maybe they're really only .0085-.040" and the coating accounts for the remainder?:laugh2:
    Note to dbb:I think a set of these would sound cool on a 175. They have a very smooth tone, like flat wounds. I put a set on an SG Special and they aren't bad, but I notched off the coating in the pick's path in an hour or less. I would go a gauge higher than my usual if buying another set, but for Wes Montgomery and George Bensonesque tone,it's in there!
    ;>)/

2. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Thanks, I may try that, but I am used to 11 or 12 D'Addarrio's on the 175 and am generally not a flatwounds user, so I am not exactly chasing their tone.

But the idea is very interesting, maybe more for this jazzbox guitar, and using 12 or 13's:

[​IMG]

I used this and a Peavey Strat copy on a gig the other night - what a great contrast in tones, between the thick archtop tone and the clear sc Strat sound, I really enjoyed using both guitars for different music.

Biddlin likes this.
  3. seizure

seizure Active Member

whelllllpp....this is a first. I broke one of the strings today for the first time. I do feel kind of cool, like I'm joining a special club. It was exactly just over 30 days since I started this thread with my new strings. It snapped where the intonation bridge was. Never happened before.

To DR's credit I did email them and they are sending out a new set for free.

[​IMG]

You can see the string wore down to it's core at each of the frets. Pretty cool.

[​IMG]

4. tmjns796

tmjns796 Member

you could use the old strings and make up some hippy free love bracelets :-/
    maybe in future try playing some other strings? instead of playing the blues...
    did you see what I did there? :-)

5. shreddy bender

shreddy bender Well-Known Member

Nice they are sending you a free set! They do look cool. As others have said you may want to get your frets looked at. The only times my strings wore out like that is when they were so old and I had no cash to replace them (it's happened to me quite a few times!). I've even had strings break in the middle of the neck many times as opposed to the more common bridge or nut location.
    I must say that I do break fewer strings since I started top wrapping my tailpiece over 20 years ago (although that might just be because I've gained more control of my playing since then!).

6. AC 30

AC 30 Well-Known Member

I've heard of those but that's the first I've seen them on a guitar....
    Not for me - but pretty freakin' wild!

7. seizure

seizure Active Member

i got my usual D'darrio's back on my SG now. It's kind of funny. I'm looking at the strings as if i'm watching Black and White Television. Feels weird to see it all in silver monochrome instead of multi color.

I guess I better play with my SG's some more !

8. kestrou

kestrou Member

Trying to decide if my balls are big enough to take the stage with these on my guitars.

Very "look at me" - so I'd have to be able to deliver then, right? :)

kestrou

Biddlin likes this.
  9. seizure

seizure Active Member

and a SG with those Double Horns doesn't say that already? :dude:

Flgatorgirl, maddog53 and Missy like this.