Your dream SG?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Steve D, Apr 3, 2019.

1. Cranky Lance

Cranky Lance New Member

I also have one but also had a 61 Les Paul SG....the real one. The neck broke at the base in '71 and I had a new body made with the original neck and pick-ups by Guitar Lab. Ironically, the guy who did the work hired me to work with him a year later. That guy rewound my pickups with coil splits....the 1st Dimarzio pick-ups. Yes, the guy was Larry DImarzio and we worked from his apartment on Staten Island, NY. Sadly, my ex-wife took it and who knows where it is now.

KS 5150 likes this.
  2. Cranky Lance

Cranky Lance New Member

mine has the autotune and smaller pick guard.

3. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

4. Piper68Special

Piper68Special Active Member

Gold Top.png Not a LP fan but I do have a soft spot for a gold top.

indeedido likes this.
  5. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

This one but I' ve got it

Gibson SG White 219.JPG

KS 5150 and flognoth like this.
  6. Greg Connor

Greg Connor Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
  7. jonnyfez

jonnyfez Active Member

I have the 2018 Standard in black too. Great guitar! I put reflector knobs on mine. LOVE the '61 pickups.

8. Greg Connor

Greg Connor Well-Known Member

100_6585.JPG

Attached Files:

9. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

2014 I pretty much bought my 'dream SG' - a white Standard, with a small pickguard, and once I'd fitted it, a B3 Bigsby. But I also used to lust after a black SG, so I though it would be cool to have an 'opposite' SG, I came up with this as a concept, dot inlays, P90s, batwing and Maestro:
    SG.jpg
    I don't think Gibson ever made an SG quite like that. I kept the pickguard black as I prefer that look on a black SG with a batwing, but in other respects it was the 'opposite' of my Standard:
    [​IMG]

Then I forgot all about it, until I stumbled across it on my computer a few days ago. Just weeks after buying this:
    [​IMG]

Pretty close apart from the dot inlays. So if you've got a dream SG, keep the image around and sooner or later it'll turn up. :)

10. Grizzlyman

Grizzlyman Active Member

310A77B3-5636-4046-9A88-EC19876E7428.jpeg

I know it’s not Gibson, but this one please!

11. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

Well I’ve dreamed about owning a vintage Gibson for the 8 years I’ve been playing guitar, and while that itch was scratched for a while by my late great uncle’s ‘72 ES-335TDC, it was only a year or so I had that guitar in my possession before a cousin took it (grandchildren take priority over a nephew), and I was left with “cruddy” new Gibsons. That was, until COVID hit; while I had planned to buy a vintage Gibson Junior or Fender Jaguar when I had originally planned on going to Nashville this year, a friend came up to me with an offer on a guitar I couldn’t refuse.
    [​IMG]
    That’s my factory reneck in the ‘70s 1963. While I love my newer Gibsons, this thing just does it. While it’s missing the original pickups, it sounds phenomenal with the PAF style pickups in it currently. Also, I added a mono-plak for good measure, as I have the typical young adult ego :rofl:
    [​IMG]

pancake81, Chuteboxehero and Biddlin like this.
  12. Tiboy

Tiboy Member

I no longer dream about acquiring gear. Now I dream about acquiring talent. Alas, despite hours of practice daily, it remains a dream.

Jezclayton, pancake81 and koaguilds like this.
  13. papagayo

I love the Bohemian Limited Custom Shop, Sexy SGs :cheers:

Temp 4098.jpg

14. Demon Dave

Demon Dave Member

This guy

E6FB071E-50B0-40E0-8051-C63CD6A379CA.jpeg

Bohemian in Sky Blue

15. papagayo

... or this one

[​IMG]

16. catstudioguitars

catstudioguitars Member

For functional as well as sentimental reasons:

1964 SG Special Conversion (to humbuckers)

I purchased it from Midwest Buy and Sell in Chicago.

64 is a cool year. Lots of great design changes to the guitar as well as lots of greats have played this. I did not factor in the celebrity stuff when deciding to purchase this guitar, as at the time I didnt know what years people like Tony Iommi played.

It has lots of unoriginal parts, but most of the replacements are very old (old Grovers, old badass bridge) and most notably a 1962-1963 pre-t top humbucker in the bridge. The neck position is a modern era kent armstrong. It had 500t in the bridge when I bought it.

Uhmm. I do have a set of the original tuners in the case [FoR rEsAl3 v4luE]

Frets are original. Nut is not. Frets are getting low but have enough life left for me. I play this guitar sparingly, as the mood strikes. I have other SGs to keep me busy.

Never had a headstock or neck joint repair (part of the reason I dont play it frivolously).

Very cool neck profile. Starts off thin and gets quite fat. Definitely the most aggressive gradient that Ive seen on an SG.

The electronics may be original. I havent looked at them in a while, but the amount of 'honk' I get from the tone pots suggests original .022 caps that have drifted quite far in value, perhaps landing around .015. Amazing woman tone. This guitar really enlightened me to the benefits of a small value on the tone cap. That said, not all guitars instantly get that vocal nasal tone when you plop a .015 tone cap in. There seems to be more to it... Well, this one has it.

Lots of sustain and rings out loudly acoustically. I generally have it strung with .10-.52 strings, tuned to D standard.

Attached Files:

17. Bubbalou88

Bubbalou88 Member

I got my dream SG -2016 SG Standard that looks exactly like yours

18. Mindthepipes

Mindthepipes New Member

19. ezypikins

ezypikins Member

I can get all that scribbling off the red one for you.

pancake81 likes this.
  20. Tboneberry

Tboneberry New Member

Hi, am new to the forum. I have never had an SG before, never even considered one until recently. Derek Trucks probably had something to do with that. After a lot of deliberation, I got the 2019 SG Jr two days ago. Very glad that I did. It’s a lot more versatile than it looks. I love the simplicity and the fact that it forces one to explore the controls (an overlooked tone shaper IMO). It’s also very pretty! There are some extremely attractive SGs on this thread but I like mine! E63FE3B2-E9E7-4755-9BFD-21210A739209.jpeg

Demon Dave and Piper68Special like this.