Your Favorite Knob....

Which is your favorite knob

• Total voters

Go Nigel Go

Reaction score
I try not to be too "precious" about knobs... I must confess a secret fetish for the venerable "chicken head" even though I don't have any on my guitars. I do have them on some of my other gear though much to my delight. I draw the line at wrapping 20 or 30 layers of tape around the pot shaft (which I have seen more than once) but pretty much anything else is fair game. If it actually looks cool, well, that is a bonus. I can certainly deal with any OEM knobs I have seen on a reputable manufacturer instrument. Give me a handful of radio knobs from the '20s, '30s, and 40s, and those puppies are dang sure going on something!

shreddy bender

Reaction score
I prefer speed knobs myself. Probably because my first Gibson was a 74 SG Standard and that's what it had and I loved that guitar. I have speed knobs on both my Sg's and on the guitars I built.
I am warming up to the Strat and Tele knobs as those are the ones I play most with the band I am in at the moment. I COULD play Pink Floyd on my SG but it wouldn't really sound authentic now would it!?

arcticsg

Reaction score
I spent twenty years with my main squeeze being a '74 Kalamazoo Small Script Standard with gold reflectors (gold inserts). Got used to them.
pauly2.jpg

I suppose I prefer reflectors. :naughty:

Bob

Heheh...

full

:D

Steve D

Reaction score
I prefer speed knobs myself. Probably because my first Gibson was a 74 SG Standard and that's what it had and I loved that guitar. I have speed knobs on both my Sg's and on the guitars I built.
I am warming up to the Strat and Tele knobs as those are the ones I play most with the band I am in at the moment. I COULD play Pink Floyd on my SG but it wouldn't really sound authentic now would it!?
Not to suggest you don't need a strat or tele but for what it's worth David Gilmour played a Les Paul on his solo for 'Another Brick in the Wall Part 2' so if you play that one you could work the SG in if you like.

shreddy bender

Reaction score
Not to suggest you don't need a strat or tele but for what it's worth David Gilmour played a Les Paul on his solo for 'Another Brick in the Wall Part 2' so if you play that one you could work the SG in if you like.
We are trying to go for mostly earlier stuff. We do play Hey You from the Wall but are really setting the focus on Dark Side and earlier.

Steve D

Reaction score
I hear you. Back around '92 or so I sold my old SG and bought a strat because the players I was obsessed with at that time (Clapton, Gilmour, Eric Johnson, Stevie Ray, etc etc) were strat men. Just hard to get the tones they were putting out on an SG with humbuckers especially at that time with the effects available and no coil split. Eventually I asked myself 'why not both?' and came back to SGs but I've pretty much always had a strat ever since that first one almost 30 years ago.

And for my money, Wish You Were Here, Animals, and Dark Side of the Moon is peak Pink Floyd. Rock on!

Bad Penguin

Reaction score
Reflector top hats on an SG
Speed knobs on a Paul
Chicken head for the odd ones.

Steve D

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of reflector top hats. I never liked speed knobs until recently, when I started discovering Norlin SGs and they look right on those for some reason. I also have a PRS with speed knobs and I think that's also the right thing for it, it's blingy enough without fancy knbs.

But if there could be only one I'd go top hats with reflectors.

papagayo

Reaction score
Talking about knobs what do you suggest for my Les Paul Tribute ?

Les Paul T Gold Top 74.JPG