your guitar looks like the devil,.....or batman,.....possibly both

Discussion in 'Welcome Wagon' started by Malikon, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Malikon

Malikon Member

Hey all. I'm Malikon and I've stumbled over this way through the MLP portal. It was a shiny portal, lots of color and spinny lights. I was gonna poke it with a stick but then Thump and Colchar threw me through the door. At some point I think Markerdown even bonked me with a guitar. It was all very frightening.

When I woke up Flick was rubbing my head and going, "shhhhhhh"

Pretty creepy. :ohno: What does a roofy taste like?

I'm a guitar player in my 30's and I'm currently living in Chicago. I've been playing 25 years and I front the Malikon band here in Chicago, (which is currently being restructured.)

I generally prefer Strats and Les Pauls, though I love the look of the SG and always have. Hearing Tony Iommi play guitar is my earliest memory from childhood and I think it left an impression on me. I've always been attracted to SG's, I just tend to have a hard time playing them. Though a Telecaster and an SG have been on my GAS list for years.

At the moment I'm currently playing with a Goldtop Bonamassa Les Paul, a modded Desert Burst Standard Les Paul, and my newest git-fiddle is a faded cherry burst ESP/LTD 400vf single cut model, which basically looks like a honeyburst Les Paul with a pointy horn. I also have a 50's replica 2 tone Stratocaster I'm rather fond of.

For gigs I use a Marshall halfstack and a few pedals for overdrive, chorus, and tremelo. And at home I like to use a Fender Mustang I amp for practice.

I also teach out of my studio and give lessons over the web through Skype to people. Skype has turned out to be pretty cool like that. Teaching someone in Japan is something I never would've imagine I'd be able to do 10 years ago.

In my spare time I work construction semi-part time which gives me some extra $$$ but still leaves lots of time for making music.

some pics, since we all like pics. Nothing fancy, but they get the job done. They're players, every one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for the invite guys. Hopefully this place will be as silly, fun and informative as MLP is.

Rock on muh bruthas. :dude:

DanielC likes this.
  2. DanielC

DanielC New Member

Deeply embedded in The Demokratik Republik of Kali
    Stumbled?

Hell... Like to about had to drag you.

3. cooljuk

cooljuk Member

You failed to mention that you shred like a mother!

btw - when does the throbbing go away? I just woke up here too.

4. Hairless_Ape

Hairless_Ape Member

5. Malikon

Malikon Member

I GEDD OUT? YOU GEDD OUT!

AHHhhhhh, Thees guy....

6. Tim Fezziwig

Tim Fezziwig Member

Devils? Angels?Mlp?

7. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Welcome, even with no SG. Heck, Les Pauls are just SG's that didn't make the switch in 61.

Lots of us like Strats here too.

8. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

That eppy LP looks pretty killer and even easier on the eyes than some gibby's worth 10x's the price! Nice find!

9. Hairless_Ape

Hairless_Ape Member

If you think it looks pretty, just wait until you Mal play that thing. Brother has skills.

DanielC likes this.
  10. Malikon

Malikon Member

Thanks for the kind words.

Yeah she's pretty sweet. My fav and #1. Was actually a surprise Easter present a couple years ago. I ended up gutting her completely and replacing all the inside parts with MIK stuff and MIK PAF clone pickups (alnico V) and getting some better tuners. And she sounds a lot better now then she did stock, but still......

Sadly at the moment she's now the worst of the bunch. The JB goldtop w/ the Burstbuckers and Mallory caps, and the LTD w/ Duncans definitely sound better. And I hear a difference going back and forth between the 3 guitars.

However MHD Pickups and Martin Six String Customs have both endorsed me recently, so I've got a really sweet 50's style wiring harness that I'm getting ready to drop in the Epi, and MHD should be sending me some new pickups for it soon. So she'll be sounding better and back to being my #1 real soon.

She's a beaut though. The neck is killer.

11. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

Guitar tone caps

I don't care to get into an estoreic discussion since in the past I have but I feel and use old similarary made to original specks " OIL CAPS " ... one knows them from the " Valve " on one side wheras the same cap in a ceramic version, and you have to have a sharp eye to know/see which is witch! I 'll try to post clear picks if I can find em in the bucket, but you'll have a sweetess w/bite sound ,, which is like I like my wimmen :dunno:
    I also like cornel Duibier ,022 caled " Greenies " from late 59;s /60's .... Black beauties too can be the rage! Posibly w/ older wax caps , see if there old and leak @ 400V DC usually a hard strum reads 500mv so were lightyears away fom the leakage thing
    How you do it is w/ alligator clips how ouy the bck bacj of the guitar and just clip em in in real time and listen, remember to reverse em in case the outter foik/inner foil thing makes a difference , sometimes it's night n day other times not ,,, real easy to do w/ the clips too :dude:

12. SG Lou

SG Lou Moderator Staff Member

BATMAN SG :thumb:

[​IMG]
    Believe it or not, at one time I had plans on building this but never got around to it ! :dude:

cooljuk and Malikon like this.
  13. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

That's the scariest SG I've ever seen....:ohno:

14. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

That looks absolutely evil.
    I like it.