Your latest newbie and his Fool

Discussion in 'Welcome Wagon' started by frequentflyer909, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Greeties,

And thanks for reading my introduction. I come to EverythingSG.com upon the recommendation of a fellow poster at the GretschPages.com.

I don't do much in the way of discussion boards 'n' groups, so you probably won't see me very often, but I'll drop in from time to time. A visiting relative, as it were.

Let's see, you folks want to know stuff about your members - shed a little of the anonymity. That's great -- most places don't ask. I'm in Baltimore, came up from the Gulf Coast in '03. I didn't start playing guitar until I was 25; for better or worse, I'm self-taught, and until the last few years was merely a happy, simple acoustic chord-banger. Although I've owned electric guitars since the mid-80's, I only started goofing with them with any sense of purpose just seven years ago... at age 46. I'm a hopeless hack when forced out of the rhythm/accompanying guitar role. :)

The music that I play is rock and roll from the dawn of the days -- '50's and '60's, primarily. I'm not a songwriter, so everything's a cover to me... and I've never worked with a songwriter who was actually good, so I'm not likely to be seen pursuing "original" music. Give me some rootsy stuff, some folk rock, some rockabilly, some Fabs, and the occasional dose of garage and psychedelia.

The sounds in my head are vintage sounds. Mostly, I play Gretsches (5 in the stable)... but not exclusively. My acoustic is a Gibson jumbo, my 12-string is a Rickenbacker electric, there's always a Hofner bass on hand. Yes, the arsenal is rather Beatlerific, though my amps of choice are Fender (Showman and Vibrolux), not Vox AC30's (not that there's anything wrong with them); and I do keep some repro-retro-vibe creatures in the playpen -- a Metropolitan Tanglewood Custom and an Eastwood Supro Coronado. I also play a little organ, and it can be nothing but a Vox Continental.

Which brings me to my SG. To be specific, it's an Epiphone G-400. In the past, I'd had a Les Paul Custom, but that wasn't "it", and a Melody Maker, and that wasn't "it" either. I'd also been through a Tele and a Strat, and of them, I'll just say how much I love Fender... amplifiers. It's only an occasional occasion when I require the magic of solid-body sound. But when I do... well, it tends to be the SG sound.

As a kid, I really fell for what Eric Clapton was doing with Cream, and I was endlessly entranced by that incredibly painted SG that he used. And then, a few years later, I became fond of Todd Rundgren's music; and a year or so after discovering him, there he was with that same guitar. But so what of that, right? A mere object of fascination... and at that time, I didn't play guitar at all.

Fast forward, please...

A couple of years ago, a fellow was selling a few guitars on eBay, and in the background of one of his photographs was a replica of the Fool SG... a left-handed one. Well, heck, I'm left-handed and I play that way. The light finally goes on: "I could possibly get myself such a thing".

Long story cut off: I did.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Disclaimers: I'm well aware of the variances of my guitar from the original -- the Epi headstock, the lack of gold knobs, the "Clapton" unpainted neck (hey, I gotta play this thing!) paired with the "Rundgren" iteration of the paint job. This one's mines, folksies, and I was deliberate about most of those discrepancies for various reasons (I may pick up some gold knobs, though!). Mostly, I'm tickled into the Afterlife with the quality and fidelity of the artwork, handpainted by one Robert "Moondog" Parsons in Hereford, Texas, which is too good to be true, and yet, there it is, every time I look at it. And the price: forget everything you've ever heard about the cost of Fool replica artwork.

Testimonial cut short: e-mail me if you want to contact Moondog.

Now, I'm looking to upgrade the pickups to '57's. But I'm not a whiz on what else I might need to get this essentially fine-playing, well-balanced beauty up to maximum specification, because I just haven't followed the Epiphone line. Tuners? Pots? Recommendations based on your collective experience and wisdom solicited!

Nice ta be here!

Give us a kiss,
    FF909

PS: The avatar is a pic of my dog and me in our youth.

2. Wags

Wags New Member

Welcome to ETSG Frequentflyer...I like you already...(you're left handed and so am I!!)
    Glad you decided to join us, although your join date was some time ago.
    Sit back, relax and happy posting!

3. NeoConMan

NeoConMan New Member

Welcome from another two string power chord hack!

Neo

4. Hey, Wags,

I lurked for a while until I could get the pics going, 'cause I know the folks here want to see pictures. Didn't want to disappoint! ;)

Good to know I've got a few fellow portsiders around!

All the best,
    FF909

5. javamagic

javamagic Well-Known Member

Nice to see you here FF and nice looking guitar too. You'll find one or two other Fools around but not left-hookers.

[quote author=frequentflyer909 link=topic=13342.msg173327#msg173327 date=1177470775]
    Good to know I've got a few fellow portsiders around!
    [/quote]

Careful, that sounds amost like a euphemism. Y'know like "Uphill Gardener" or "Fudgepacker". You might fall foul of the increasingly sensitive auto-censor. Let's see if it catches those last ones. :)

6. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to ETSG requentflyer909~ :) :) :)

7. SG Lou

SG Lou Moderator Staff Member

Welcome Aboard FF ! :coolsmiley:

8. nelsonM

nelsonM Member

Nice intro FF909!
    Great looking Guitar too :)

9. Strange Brew

Strange Brew Well-Known Member

Yup O0

Great introduction FF

Welcome - from another "Fool Fan"... am about to start the artwork on another (the third one!)

Yours looks great BTW! Nice work...

10. Zeppelin Rules

Zeppelin Rules Active Member

Welcome to ETSG !!

11. Pickngrin

Pickngrin Member

wow, neat SG!
    I am old enough to remember watching Peabody the dog on our B&W set...heh heh ;)

12. Red devil

Red devil Member

An igloo in the Canadian wilderness of Vancouver
    Cool fool
    : )