You've been had! Ya been took! Ya been hoodwinked! Bamboozled! Led astray!

Jack Hammer

Reaction score
Once heard Angus say he wanted a Les Paul type sound but it was way too heavy for his small stature, so he chose the SG. Aside from the easier fret access, what appeals to me is that I can pick one up, toss it into my lap, lay back and play, or sit up and play without having a cord digging into the furniture.

skydog6653

Reaction score
This is the set that first interested me in SG's. Carlos later said he'd dropped mescaline several hours before their scheduled start, but was forced on much earlier due to earlier scheduled bands unable to make it due to traffic. He spent the whole set thinking his SG was a cobra and he had to hold the neck to keep from being bit! That and praying that he stayed in tune and time because he couldn't hear all that well. If you look at Michael Shrieve's face, he had a black eye from a bar fight the night before. This was a couple of years before Neal Schon joined the band.

VSG

Reaction score
All of us here. Every SG owner on Earth - myself included - has been took, bamboozled, had, hoodwinked!

No doubt my SG is a beautiful guitar. The design, build, craftsmanship is impeccable. Worth every penny.

IMG-0731fix.jpg

But when we bought our SGs we all thought we would sound like Angus. Well, I don't sound like Angus and I bet you don't either. I thought when I laid my money down and bought an SG I would instantly become a rock God. My hair would grow long, I would wear denim, and killer power chords that the old folks hate would come from my SG. That didn't happen!

Our SGs with their humbuckers and demon horns were supposed to be killer rock guitars. They are not. We've been had, bamboozled, took. Led astray.
Really? I doubt you thought that. If you did I have a couple of bridges for sale in NY and SF.

Relic61

Reaction score
My association with the SG has nothing to do with Angus - I'm not an AC/DC fan and I think Angus looks effing ridiculous. It was the guitar I watched Clapton playing in the middle '60s.

Frankly I can't believe the man has stuck with the schoolboy in shorts look for all these years!

Does he think of himself as needing to be a caricature? A fixed visual icon that can never forgo the dress-up outfit & routine?

At 65 it might be ok now to forgo the schoolboy look & think about becoming the almighty ruling headmaster of the School of Rock 'n Roll Guitar!
Graduate already will ya!!?

Wolfcoyote

Reaction score
Multi-thousand? Every pickup is the same - a magnet and some wire. There is no reason for a price to go over $100, even for a one-off.
Actually, john birch who was a legendary guitar builder, who built instruments for the beatles, Brian May and Black Sabbath custom designed pickups for Tony Iommi to produce low frequencies...he was considered basically the best Guitar builder of the time, and his stuff did cost that much, even if pickups are generally similar...having handmade made pickups built by a guitar god is going to set you back a few thousand dollars..at least, and that’s 1975 price.

jtees4

Reaction score
All of us here. Every SG owner on Earth - myself included - has been took, bamboozled, had, hoodwinked!

No doubt my SG is a beautiful guitar. The design, build, craftsmanship is impeccable. Worth every penny.

IMG-0731fix.jpg

But when we bought our SGs we all thought we would sound like Angus. Well, I don't sound like Angus and I bet you don't either. I thought when I laid my money down and bought an SG I would instantly become a rock God. My hair would grow long, I would wear denim, and killer power chords that the old folks hate would come from my SG. That didn't happen!

Our SGs with their humbuckers and demon horns were supposed to be killer rock guitars. They are not. We've been had, bamboozled, took. Led astray.

That's nuts. You bought the wrong color, no one could sound like Angus with THAT guitar (a beautiful one by the way).

donepearce

Reaction score
London, new hearing aid project - exciting
Actually, john birch who was a legendary guitar builder, who built instruments for the beatles, Brian May and Black Sabbath custom designed pickups for Tony Iommi to produce low frequencies...he was considered basically the best Guitar builder of the time, and his stuff did cost that much, even if pickups are generally similar...having handmade made pickups built by a guitar god is going to set you back a few thousand dollars..at least, and that’s 1975 price.

Like the PT Barnum said, there's a sucker born every day. All guitar pickups produce low frequencies, it's the highs that depend on inductance and load resistances.

Brooklyn Zeke

Reaction score
I agree with that statement. There’s something inextricable about the SG and Angus Young and I’m sure tons of AC/DC fans were inspired to buy one and play because of Angus.

But there are plenty of other people playing many different styles on SGs, not because they wanted to sound like Angus but because they liked the guitar. I imagine that Angus himself used the guitar because he liked it, not because he wanted to sound like someone in particular. Players of all backgrounds, from the mother of rhythm and blues, Sister Rosetta Tharpe to guitarist and vocalist Josh Scoggins of noise metal outfit “‘68” have chosen the SG as their axe of choice. Just because Les Paul didn’t like it doesn’t mean it’s not a million others’ cup of tea. :thumb:
Les who?

NMA

Reaction score
Pictures or it didn’t happen? :p

This poor sod bought his SG thinking he would be Angus and thinking he would get girls. He was wrong on both counts.
He was hoodwinked, bamboozled, led astray.

hqdefault.jpg

WaveformTV

Reaction score
I bought an SG because I liked the shape, the feel, the position of the controls, the neck, etc. Angus had nothing to do with it. I bought a Marshall DSL because it was on sale for a ridiculously low price, and with a speaker swap I knew it would be a phenomenal and versatile amp. Angus had nothing to do with it.

Big shocker, I sound nothing like Angus. Never bothered me.

I’m not sure why the myth persists that SG players all idolize Angus, especially from users of this forum.
I agree with your opinion. I bought the SG special in 1968 at a pawn shop. I liked the way it looked and sounded. Was not influenced by any Clapton, Iommi, Santana, etc. though later I found out these players had the SG. No one is ever going to sound like another player the exact same way no matter what kind of gear they have. It all comes down to your playing technique. Sure you can study up how the musicians approach their style, but it’s their style unique to themselves. One might come close but it will never be the same. To get the most out of your instrument, just play what you like and eventually you will develop your own style if you play long enough. Unfortunately I no longer own that Gibson SG, I switched to bass Gibson EBO, and could not afford to have 2 instruments. Nowadays I use the 2019 Epiphone SG Classic, yeah it’s no Gibson but it will do for my playing technique, cheers.

SG standard

Reaction score
...having handmade made pickups built by a guitar god is going to set you back a few thousand dollars..at least, and that’s 1975 price.

Where did you hear that!? I think it's really unlikely, I'm pretty sure his custom guitars only cost hundreds of pounds back then, and the $ exchange rate wasn't THAT bad!

SG standard

Reaction score
As a child of 12, I bought my first copy of Humble Pie Performance Rockin' The Fillmore.
Ha! That was my first album... Pretty sure that's what made me buy an electric guitar - which happened to be SG shaped. :)

I still listen to it all these years later (the album not the guitar - that went long ago)

glenncanale

Reaction score
I bought my 1967 SG in 1972 for $100.00 because that's all I had. A few years latter I paid $600.00 for a 1973 100 watt Marshal Stack because I loved the sound and the look. Iv'e been playing them for more then 45 years and I finale sound like me which is the most important thing when it comes to playing music.

SatansGwitar

Reaction score
hmm..like many have already said, yeah I was an SG fan outside of the influence of Angus and Tony. I used to be a local bands photographer and fell in love with the lead’s SG Special. I didnt know jack sh!t about playing any guitar then but i loved the look. Fast forward a lil bit i became an ACDC fan via working on their video game after digging into their older stuff, and after listening to High Voltage/Dirt Deeds albums, I became an Angus fan for his guitar “work” not his type of guitar, and decided to learn guitar. Fast forward a few years later I bought an Epi SG cuz i loved the look and didnt wanna pay Gib prices. Once i got confident with playing guitar i started trying out Gibson SG’s at shops and other guitars but the SG was always more comfy, sexier, and sounded the best to my ears and thats where my love and obsession for the Gibson SG began and at that time i was not jamming ACDC at all. Im just lucky my guitar hero just happens to love the same guitar I love!

TChalms

Reaction score
Nope. It wasn't Angus. I hope Angus doesn't mind, but I don't know who he is. I didn't like his band ... still don't. Tommy? Nope, it wasn't him.

But then along came this kid named Derek Trucks. Oh, my freaking gosh! His solos make me cry. He makes music like no one else. His solo in Midnight in Harlem is incredible. His wife does an incredible job too.

I know I'll never sound like Derek, no one can. His sound is unmistakable. I got an SG because of the four knobs that give me the ability to get a huge number of different sounds out of the guitar.

Robert P.Mamarella

Reaction score

IMG-0731fix.jpg

Latest posts