You've been had! Ya been took! Ya been hoodwinked! Bamboozled! Led astray!

Naki

Reaction score
Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, Duane Allman, Frank Zappa and Derek Trucks all inspired me. Heck, even Alan Holdsworth, said every guitar he owned always had to go through the filter of being compared to his SG. I’ll admit the SG wasn’t my first love, but like Angus it was it’s weight that attracted me. I wish there was more color variety too, but the thing is amazing.

Wolfcoyote

Reaction score
Like the PT Barnum said, there's a sucker born every day. All guitar pickups produce low frequencies, it's the highs that depend on inductance and load resistances.
Suckers are the ones who believe a Gibson SG will enhance their tone and technique...I’m guessing the giant pre-amp racks help to create these signature tones not a slab of mahogany With stings...anyway, I’m sure you just suck, don’t blame Gibson. I like Gibson because it offers a premium quality finish on a beautifully designed body with full binding and other unnecessary things of that nature...I’m sure you must play a modded squire, you seem the type, logic-nerd

donepearce

Reaction score
London, new hearing aid project - exciting
Suckers are the ones who believe a Gibson SG will enhance their tone and technique...I’m guessing the giant pre-amp racks help to create these signature tones not a slab of mahogany With stings...anyway, I’m sure you just suck, don’t blame Gibson. I like Gibson because it offers a premium quality finish on a beautifully designed body with full binding and other unnecessary things of that nature...I’m sure you must play a modded squire, you seem the type, logic-nerd

Personal name-calling just earned you the IGNORE button.

Gbux

Reaction score
I never liked SG ‘s because of Angus, & I’m Australian!!! It wasn’t until I saw Glen Buxton with his white Custom, I went, damn, that looks cool, & sounds way cool!!! Got a soft spot for Gibson Customs as it is, Les Paul’s, Firebirds, Epiphone Crestwood Deluxes!!! I like the bling!!!

Logan

Reaction score
I feel like this thread could’ve went in a different direction. Let me give you guys something else to ponder; vintage instruments. Have you been bamboozled, led astray, had, like I have, into thinking that vintage instruments are automatically better?
full

SG standard

Reaction score
Let me give you guys something else to ponder; vintage instruments. Have you been bamboozled, led astray, had, like I have, into thinking that vintage instruments are automatically better?

Nope. I've always thought they must be worn out, knackered, in need of a refret, new pots, rewiring and refinishing, so absolutely not worth wasting money on - you'll never get all money that back if you want to sell it, especially with collectors trying to knock the price down because it's been refretted, rewired, and refinished (i.e. turned into a playable instrument).

If a 50 year old guitar was any good, it should be worn out by now, but if it's in great condition - why wasn't it worth playing for the last 50 years??? If you want a decent, playable guitar that looks old - buy a relic. Vintage guitars are for glass cabinets, not playing :)

[Sorry, couldn't resist! - That's a gorgeous SG Standard and I'm just jealous as hell] :)

donepearce

Reaction score
London, new hearing aid project - exciting
Nope. I've always thought they must be worn out, knackered, in need of a refret, new pots, rewiring and refinishing, so absolutely not worth wasting money on - you'll never get all money that back if you want to sell it, especially with collectors trying to knock the price down because it's been refretted, rewired, and refinished (i.e. turned into a playable instrument).

If a 50 year old guitar was any good, it should be worn out by now, but if it's in great condition - why wasn't it worth playing for the last 50 years??? If you want a decent, playable guitar that looks old - buy a relic. Vintage guitars are for glass cabinets, not playing :)

[Sorry, couldn't resist! - That's a gorgeous SG Standard and I'm just jealous as hell] :)

Grrrr! Now you've wound me up. In 1964 I bought a '61 Melody Maker. It has been in regular use ever since, and had some mods along the way. It most definitely is not a glass cabinet guitar, but it plays beautifully. I'm not an aggressive guitarist - no death grip for me - and although the frets are lower than they were, they are still in great playing condition.

dan_vacant

Reaction score
I'm not sure who made me want an sg. I think the shape it's self just grabbed me. I'm a younen though and didn't get into acdc till I dated a lady that adored Angus when I was 21-23. The band's I've enjoyed growing up that used them were system of a down, three days grace and Zappa.

Robert Nunn

Reaction score
WOW, what a stupid thread. Can't believe it's got this much attention.

LarryBirdsFace

Reaction score
I think you guys got duds, you should definitely return them.
I don't even have to strap mine on, as soon as I open the case it automatically plays 'If You Want Blood' all by itself.

TDA1966

Reaction score
I would loved to have heard SRV play Riviera Paradise on an SG with Vibrola....
I don't know if he ever even picked one up but I'm sure it would have been great.

sazista

Reaction score
I bought an SG because I liked the shape, the feel, the position of the controls, the neck, etc. Angus had nothing to do with it. I bought a Marshall DSL because it was on sale for a ridiculously low price, and with a speaker swap I knew it would be a phenomenal and versatile amp. Angus had nothing to do with it.

Big shocker, I sound nothing like Angus. Never bothered me.

I’m not sure why the myth persists that SG players all idolize Angus, especially from users of this forum.

Yes.. it is annoying to constantly read about Angus Angus Angus or the "Ac/dC sound (completely ignoring that 50% of it was from a Gretsch!) I don't blame them though.. many are younger folks who grew up on that sound and the band was very visual with Angus and his antics. If Angus had only behaved like the 2nd guitarist of CCR, he wouldn't be so visually memorable.
I loved them up until Bon died then i left them for dead. But others influenced me more like Zappa, Iommi, Michael Bruce / Glen Buxton of Alice Cooper. It's similar to the media and kids who blabber on and on about Slash, their songs, his sound.. (i detest their loudmouth, sexist, racist, woman beating singer) and if you like Slashs' playing, go to his source of influence:: Michael Schenker in UFO..., that is where he got his chops and sound.. so.. i derailed. i like SGs for non-Angus reasons. And i encourage anyone who has not yet done so to search for players of SGs. You'll find more Angus genuflection unnecessary. There is a long post in ESG about it too.

Last edited:

gball

Reaction score
I feel like this thread could’ve went in a different direction. Let me give you guys something else to ponder; vintage instruments. Have you been bamboozled, led astray, had, like I have, into thinking that vintage instruments are automatically better?

Not in the least. There are great ones and dogs from every era. Plenty of crappy guitars shipped out of Kalamazoo in the 1950's and 1960's and plenty of stupendous ones shipped out of Nashville in the 1970's and since. "Vintage" to me means only that it is a potentially good investment, not by default a superior instrument.

NMA

Reaction score
Let me give you guys something else to ponder; vintage instruments. Have you been bamboozled, led astray, had, like I have, into thinking that vintage instruments are automatically better?
I will raise another hoodwink:

Have you ever been bamboozled, led astray, had, like I have, into thinking that expensive instruments are automatically better?

Happened to me far too often.

Here are my three Rickenbackers. Strangely enough the cheapest one is the best while the most expensive one is the least of the three.

61fix4-jpgfix.jpg

Von Trapp

Reaction score
I will raise another hoodwink:

Have you ever been bamboozled, led astray, had, like I have, into thinking that expensive instruments are automatically better?

Happened to me far too often.

Here are my three Rickenbackers. Strangely enough the cheapest one is the best while the most expensive one is the least of the three.

In short, yes. I have to say though that I took this thread to be very tongue in cheek but as usual some people take things WAY too seriously. My serious answer would thus be yes. The first album I ever got was Jeff Becks Blow By Blow, I think for my 10th birthday (!) and of course I wanted a black LP like that. Then I wanted a black one like Brian Robertson, a white SG like Buck Dharma, an Ibanez PS100 like Paul Stanley, an 3-pup LP like Ace Frehley, (because as stated "Kiss play Gibson guitars and Pearl drums because they want the best") a white Strat like Richie Blackmore, a V like K.K Downing and yes, a black SG like Angus.

Then I got old enough to realize I would never be able to afford them and got a neck through Pro Martin at the pawn shop. As luck would have it, I was wrong, and I later sold it to get a Strat, like Robert Cray, and the above list started all over again. I was stupid enough to believe everything I read online before realizing that most of the people writing were only perpetuating myths and woodoo beliefs that they themselves had only read about and had no experience from and that most most them had absolutely 0 knowledge of how an electric guitar works, much less had built one. So I studied that, built one and rebuilt several.

Lesson learned? Our heroes got what they got because they thought they looked cool and because they could afford them. But string up your kitchen table, put pups on it, and you can make it sound like any guitar you want (bar acoustic or semi) but you DO get better if the guitar makes you feel like a rock god, no matter what brand or model. And when you FEEL like a rock god you PLAY like a rock god and god dammit, then you ARE a rock god!

Latest posts