Zebra or Nickel.??

Newd

Reaction score
As the title says! Can't make my mind up what to go for! Has the Zebra burstbuckers as standard which I like the look of but also like covered! They are getting changed anyway so do you reckon?
I also still have to choose between BKP and The Creamery but that's another matter!
All comments greatly appreciated

Dean

Biddlin

Reaction score
Since the title doesn't say what guitar we are discussing, I'll assume it's the SG standard .I'll also assume you've had it more than a week and know why you are changing pickups
IMO BK pickups are ridiculously overpriced replicas. That said, I installed a pair of Abraxas on a clients 2011 Les Paul Standard that were better balanced across the frequency range(Kinda like the old 490r/498t combo) and, to his ears, had louder output and better harmonics. A near $500 transformation, my fees included, that $50 worth of EQ pedal would have accomplished.
Frankly, I would try some nice covers on the stock pickups, if the look was what I wanted, buy nice eq and boost pedals and save a hell of a lot of money and grief.
Biddlin ;>)/

smolder

Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of jmrolph pickups. They don't come with covers and jim doesn't recommend them. The zebras were fine... but when I bought a pair of used black/black I really couldn't stick with the look. I bought a pair of mojo and a pair of RS guitarworks covers... neither seemed to effect the tone, and the aged covers from RS won out (for the time being).

Newd

Reaction score
Cheers for the replies fellas! Yes it is a standard. I have had two sets of BKP's and loved them. I find the clarity prefect for me, the note separation is awesome. They are not massively different price wise in the UK to other winders. The Creamery is very local to me in Manchester so may give them a try.
Not really falling in love with the BB's although the neck I can handle as I don't use it that much so it will work out cheaper for me to stay with he zebra look!
Find the bridge far too shrill for my liking (BB #3)
I get the feeling it would sound great in a Les Paul.
I am liking the fact the Zebra route isn't that common.

Cheers again for all the feedback.

Dean.

javamagic

Reaction score
If you really want a classic look you've got to go for nickel covers. Let's face it, zebra covers were an accident on Gibson's part and only discovered through players taking the covers of their humbuckers back in the '60s. They may look pretty but the colour makes absolutely no difference to the sound although, argumentatively, the covers do. :hmm:

Col Mustard

Reaction score
Welcome to ETSG, Dean... you'll find lots of opinions around here, but none of it is likely to be more than subjective response to this question. Some people like the zebra look, and others (like me) don't. I vote for the covers.

To me, it's the sound of it that counts. You'll get some good opinions on that, because putting covers on supposedly might tone down some of the shrillness you speak of.

But I agree with Biddlin when he says that putting an EQ pedal in your f/x loop will give you so much more control over your tone... you might find that ripping the burstbuckers out of your SG wasn't necessary. Also, if you decide to install the pickups you already have around your house, the EQ pedal will still give you much more control over your tone than anything, so you'll want to do it anyway. *grins

let's see some photos...

Newd

Reaction score
Lol. Cheers for the input. I came up with a plan! Order the the new Creamery pickup and buy 2 Nickel cover off him. Best of both worlds!

Dean

Newd

Reaction score
Lol! You certainly did! Well done that man ;-)

Newd

Reaction score
Used to think the same myself but then I saw this honey burst standard 60's and changed my mind. My tastes change like the wind though. Ordered a BKP VHII this morning in the zebra colours :-) they will put the covers on for me at a later date if I change my mind!

Dean

Newd

Reaction score
Burstbucker 1 & 3. I'm just not getting on with the bb3 in the bridge. Too hot for an A2 magnet for me. I play rhythm mainly and its just too muddy and sharp for me, needed more clarity and string separation with better mids. The bb1 in the neck suits me fine.
Not saying its bad, it's just that it doesn't suit my tastes.

Dean

Ivan S Gee

Reaction score
I'm assuming you are talking SG's here? I think Zebras (or reverse Zebras) look cool in certain colours and a bit 'meh' in others. I'm considering getting a Creamery pup for my current project but I have no experience with them. I have a number of BKP's and had some in the past (Mule/Riff Raff in an SG Standard, Crawler in a '93 LP Standard and Irish Tours in my Strat relic) and I do like them. However, if you want a real sweet sound, some of the best I've heard in SG's are the Gibson '57 Classics with possibly a Classic Plus in the bridge if you need that little bit more attitude. I had '57 Classics in my 61RI and that was a SWEET sound even with standard pots and caps. I also had a '57 Classic in the neck of 'Jezebel' (SD AlNiCo II 'Slash' in the bridge) and they complimented each other really well.

Newd

Reaction score
Hey delboy! Came with Zebras from the factory. Kinda like it to be honest and I wasn't normally a fan.
Well I ordered a VHII yesterday due to not getting any reply from Jaime at the creamery. Sorry but the customer service far out weighed the slight price difference. Ben at BKP was superb. Although the VHII may be a little hotter, it tends to have a bit more clarity. We shall see!!!

Latest posts